For driving in Bosnia and Herzegovina, European Union residents must be at least 18 years old and have full driving licenses. Other visitors from non- European Union countries should have valid International driving permit further to their original driver licences.
The main road traffic rules:
- Traffic moves on the right side.
- Overtaking is on the left side of the road.
- Speed limits for vehicles are: in built up areas – 50 km/h; outside the built up areas – 80 km/h; on motorways – 100 km/h; on highways – 130 km/h.
- Speed limits for vehicles with trails are: in built up areas – 50 km/h; on all other roads – 80 km/h.
- Maximum permitted blood alcohol level is 0.03%.
- Dipped headlights are obligatory for 24 hours per day all the year round.
- It is not permitted to transport children under 12 years of age in the front seats.
- Children under 5 years must be transport in special child seats.
- Using seatbelts is obligatory for drivers and all passengers.
- It is not permitted to use mobile phones without hands-free system while driving.
- The winter tyres are obligatory from 15 November to 15 April.
- It is required to have in the car: spare lamps, a spare wheel, first-aid kit, reflecting waistcoat, towing cable and two warning triangles.
- Use of radar detectors is forbidden.
- For use of Bosnia and Herzegovina highways by the foreign vehicles, the payment is not provided. But the country has some toll roads. The tariff for journey depends on category of a vehicle. The category of a vehicle is defined proceeding from their height and quantity of axes. Payment for journey on the highway is possible in two ways – in a manual mode and automatic. In case of automatic payment, it is necessary to get in advance the special device and to equip with it the car.
- The police phone number is 122.
- In case of violation of traffic regulations, the penalty for not considerable violation can be paid on a place. For serious violations, the court resolution is taken out.
- Drivers must carry at all times while driving a valid driver license, car registration documents and insurance documents.
- To rent a car in Bosnia and Herzegovina, a driver must be at least 21 years of age and have held a driver license at least for two years. It is also very helpful to have an International driving permit.